Friday, July 17, 2009

Szx etc

--------------------------------|->


Its been 4 off days and already I’m itching to get back up there. I tell my friends that 4 off days in a row are just miserable and they tell me ‘’dude, you’re an idiot’’. It is true that anyone would appreciate any number of off days they get but I’m not everyone. Perhaps I’m still young and filled with energy that someday I mite just say ‘ok I’m going to relax and hang out a little. That day has not come and I don’t see it happening anytime soon. For now theres lots in the head and in mind, it’s a busy place!

The past 2 weeks have been just fantastic at work. Briefings are now off the cuff and flight planning is done in more detail, been working on my PA’s as well as getting to know the systems much better and getting to handling the 320 a little sweeter. I think I’m slowly finding the soft spot and it’s a good feeling to be on any flight now. Take offs are better and so is the landing. The trip to Trichy was amazing. Shenzen was cool, especially going into Chinese airspace where they use metres instead of feet. It’s a different experience and a bigger buzz. Here what went down whilst walking from the Flight Ops to the immigration before heading to the aircraft

Capt: Your first time to Shenzen?
Me: Yes Capt, the weather and notams look good so we should be in good shape today
Capt: Ok la..U take her to Shenzen and I’ll fly her back
Me: (holy crap) *Grins* Wokay







It was excitement and a tiny bit of nervousness to be honest as a friend I had telephoned the night before told me that we have health checks and what air traffic procedures to expect. Basically there were procedures in place and the winds there are quite strong. Thoughts about when do I configure?Is it bumpy on the approach? It went quite well and though the flight was long it was nice. One passenger asked me ‘’why is the front part of the aircraft colder than the back?’’. I told him all temp zones were almost equal and the temp is the same. Also he asked me ‘’Is it because there is an oven infront to heat up our food”..I said, No Sir. Went into the flight deck to ask Captain and he went ‘’it’s the same’’ –Its always amazing to meet different passengers and what better way to sharpen up our attention to detail than with questions being asked. The flight went good with some minor bumps along the route near Ho Chi Minh FIR. The approach was a little long because we were being radar vectored to land at Shenzen and picture this..we had a speed requirement which basically called for flaps and I think we burnt like 120kg extra on fuel. They give priority to their own aircraft and they speak in CHINESE! Its hard butting in on the radio as you do not know if theyre done. But anyways..on the final approach it was cool, the aircraft was a little bumpy as the winds were up and down. The sea is towards the left so there is uneven heating leading to some winds on approach. It felt awesome to counter the wind at the same time making it smooth enough for the folks at the back. The landing was normal, nothing too soft but was quite pleased.





Lets see, what else do I have to write…OO yeah flying with 2 Iraqi Captains! It was amazing because the other guy was to observe the flight, Captain Hamid Al Zubaidy and Captain Safa. Both with heaps of experience and both were from MAS :p hahah..I did the best job I could and was lucky enough to share information and brief Capt Safa on the flight about our operations on the line. He is a quick learner and was an absolute joy to hear his stories from the previous airlines and aircrafts. Qatar, MAS etc. I shared my interest in Arabic music as well during the cruise and they were a little amused I knew some of the artists and loved theyre food.(I should have suggested we go to Tarbush someday for dinner haha). I followed him through the loadsheet and boy was he quick! My loadsheet and trim time was about 4 mins..he did it in almost the same time. Interesting flight and learnt even more about our aircraft and about how to be better airmen. At the end of every flight, the handshake and compliments and advice are just so valuable as they bring more confidence and feedback to further improve.

Tomorrow its back to work with Phuket and Kota Bharu and on Sunday will be doing Ma-COW! I feel fully rested and rejuvenated and cant wait to get back to the rush, that feeling of being in control of an airliner again. The passengers, the crew the air traffic control, the paperwork:p hahaha.

There are bits of life away from flying that need a little adapting, how you divide your time and how you plan etc. Everydays a learning curve and its exciting. The toughest part is not giving up on things you cant fix, but rather adapting to it. I feel determined to rise above it all. Base check is next month. For now its tomorrows flight, Second Officer Faiz will be coming along to observe.

Saturday: Kuala Lumpur-Phuket-Kuala Lumpur- Kota Bharu-Kuala Lumpur + family dinner before heading back home early to be in bed extra early for Ma-COW!
Sunday: Kuala Lumpur-MaCOW! + Dinner with an idol I look up to. Cant wait to meet the man.

Everything can be better and I’m not gonna stop pushing. Determined.
Have a pleasant weekend everyone.

I;m told that despite the iphone and twitter I dont update them often. Starting tmr will blog after EVERY flight on twitter.

Twitter.com/jsolomon320

No comments: