Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Loft and Skills :)



Hi everyone, its been as usual crazy over here but during the course this year has taken, I think its safe to say its been crazy for you guys as well in ways we find unreal to comprehend. It could be change, it could be a decision or am I the only one who feels that even normal things are starting to feel different now?

I’m done with the simulators(or Stimulator as some of you may call it haha.). There were 2 exams, LOFT and Skills. LOFT(Line Orientated Flight Test), its basically a test in which you are evaluated on your abilities to carry out a normal flight from KL to Phuket. They do throw in a few emergency scenarios here and there and the aim is to see how procedures both normal and abnormal fall into place on a flight. I had the pleasure of working with Captain David Tay (Our Professor), it went basically well and got some pretty good feedback and I’m pleased to say he was satisfied with my performance.


The skills test quantifies everything, from failures to normal flight with the core focus being DECISION MAKING. Flight plan is from KL to Penang. It wasn’t perfect to be honest, I made up for it by turning my weaknesses into strengths but sadly it turned one of my strengths into a weakness and it haunted me a little. The test stopped half way and the instructor pointed out the mistake. CRM!(Crew Resource Management), I was caught up in the moment and nearly screwed up the approach as I was so engrossed with doing everything on my own, basically didn’t keep the co pilot in the loop. The pressure got to the head a little but after the examiner Capt Arifin pointed it out, it went better and it got back into place. It was also the last flight working with Capt Ka Hong. Basically its been a steep learning curve already and I’m only glad it went well. With a lot of lessons and weaknesses and strengths learnt, I feel even optimistic and motivated for THE LINE!

It meant a lot that evening feeling the support of everyone especially Sally and even Cristeen! They were more excited than I was! It meant so much to me and I feel blessed for having such supportive people around me. When things weren’t going so well, its just amazing to have the same support and that same encouragement. I cant honestly find the words to describe Sunday night after the skills test looking at how difficult the simulator phase has been. I cant imagine how its gonna be after the first flight.

The first flight was supposedly wednesday at dawn, but its been pushed forward a little to I do not know when. It’s a little saddening as I was calmly pumped up but I’m just counting down the days to the first flight. This is it, that dream on the first day of flying school of finally taking to the skies in an A320 is finally coming true and the beautiful thing is that ITS NEXT! It’s only a matter of days till I touch the sky again. With the new call sign, Asian Express! Will fill you guys in on the first flight on my next post. For now its about being in the best shape I can.

I will be shedding more thoughts and ideas in the upcoming posts.

‘’we are ruled not by our hearts but by our brains. Well, once in a while our heart leads us the wrong way…hahaha’’ – Its scary but I think i'm starting to realise it.

Believe the unbelievable , dream the impossible and never take no for an answer - (Tony Fernandes, my boss)

No comments: