Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Running

 4 years ago I started running to be fit enough to fly the plane. It did help to lose weight, was 75kilos but i was not happy as i gave up easily and believe me, it was tough! To maintain a pace let alone go any faster than walking. Have to say a good buddy of mine was an inspiration to me. He ran 20kms and even the full 42 marathon! I had the ambition in me but like many things in life, its easier to dream than to go balls on and do it. 

My first run. June 13th 2010.  Subang Jaya 10k run. It was the first time in my life ive trained for something like that. All along it was brisk walks on the treadmill n burgers afterward but this time I felt pretty determined. 1hr 18mins on my first race. Its a start n was better than expected! Now that was 2 months ago..

Fresh off my second run on the 31st of July. The MensHealth Shape Run. 12.3kilometres nightrun. In scenic Putrajaya. The scenery was sweet! The lights at night. The police cars holding the traffic. Ambulances going past. A stage with some deejays and local celebs, a carnival with lots of stands and interesting bits of things happening. Some music playing, it was like going to a concert.
 
-Race flagged off at 8pm. Got off to a steady start with alot of guys overtaking me. Its easy to try and run faster and keep up. But its not 2 or 3km, its 12.3. Im not tge fastest guy in the lot. I just did the pace i trained with and the last thing you would want is to start walking half way in the race and start yawning and throw it out tge window. This run though, was much better. Kept tge pace. Speed was ok 9km/h. Made sure i splashed and dashed at every water stand and before i knew it i saw the distance to go at 9km . 5km, 4, 3 etc.. We passed the lighted 'Penang Bridge' of Putrajaya.  Some people on bikes. There were uphills downhills. After a while the body gets to a crusing mode but towards the closing stages the mind becomes an idiot and youre let to believe youre tired, I was really dying to see the start finish straight. Legs were sore. Knees felt pretty wobbly, the sweat starts flowing going into your eyes and even that burns! It starts to get tough to keep earphones on as the sweat keeps slipping it off. Then i saw 3km to go. The longest 2km of my life. Started going pass quite a number of tired peopIe ahead of me.  Finally i turned the corner n recognised the buildings leading up to the finish straight. 

The main straight was in sight. I closed my eyes. and just ran my heart out sprinting to the finish. Its just knuckle down do or die. Dont know how many guys i overtook. The cheering spectators really got it flowing. Screamed past the finish clocked 1hr 31mins. The music really helped haha

I finished behind my group of friends. Those guys n girls were quick! Wouldve been nice to finish closer or ahead but its only the 2nd race. Its not about competing, Its about challenging yourself. And This proves you can do anything you set your mind to. Penang Bridge run November! 

No comments: